Friday, February 4, 2005
Road Trip Reloaded: OCN All in One GPS Reviewed
Posted by Doug Raeburn in "HARDWARE" @ 10:00 AM
Product Category: Pocket PC with integrated navigation system
Where to Buy: buyGPSnow
Specifications: Intel PXA 255 with 64MB RAM and 32 MB ROM. 3.5 inch QVGA transreflective screen. SDIO-compatible SD slot. Integrated GPS module with map software.
- Bright screen;
- Screen doesn't wash out in direct sunlight;
- Loud maximum volume;
- GPS is fast and sensitive;
- Strong routing capabilities;
- Handles long trips with a single map file;
- Excellent itineraries.
- No cradle;
- No wireless;
- Telescoping stylus difficult to remove;
- Battery not user replaceable;
- No combined map/directions view.
The Pocket PC has long served as the "affordable" navigation alternative, when factory installed systems range from $2000 and up and dedicated aftermarket solutions start at $750. Now Pocket PCs with integrated GPS hardware and bundled software are an even more appealing alternative. While the OCN All in One GPS uses the same basic hardware as other competitors, its excellent navigation software really makes it stand out.
Join me as I put it through its paces!