Monday, November 7, 2005
Posted by Don Tolson in "SOFTWARE" @ 09:00 AM
Product Category: Reference Encyclopedia
Manufacturer: Revolutionary Software Front
Where to Buy: Handango (affiliate)
Price: 19.99 USD (or 17.99 or 14.99 or 13.99 – see review)
System Requirements: Pocket PC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003, and Windows Mobile 2003 SE. There’s no specific mention of VGA support, but it seems to work fine on my Axim X50v in a QVGA mode. A SmartPhone version is also available from their website.
Specifications: Lexipedia needs about 500K of memory to work. The ‘standard’ version of the encyclopedia will require at least 225Mb free on a storage card. An ‘unabridged’ version is also available, which will require 650Mb.
- Extensive collection of over 550,000 articles (either abridged or complete, depending upon version selected) from the Wikipedia Foundation;
- No cost difference for abridged vs. full article version;
- Fast response time to searches;
- ’Sounds Like’ technology allows you to find things, even if you don’t know the spelling.
- Significant amount of storage space required for articles (but what did you expect?);
- Longer articles in the abridged version simply cut-off mid sentence;
- Use of plurals can sometimes limit responses;
- No way to update the material (currently, but they are working on it).
Read on for the full review!