Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Posted by Jason Dunn in "HARDWARE" @ 12:00 PM
Product Category: Pocket PC
Where to Buy: Direct from Dell
Price: $399 USD (mid-range X50) $299 USD (entry-level X50)
Specifications: 119mm x 73mm x 16mm, 167g (5.9oz). 3.5" QVGA screen, Intel PXA270 520 mhz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 128 MB ROM, 802.11b. Bluetooth 1.2, 1100 mAH battery. The entry level X50 has a 416 mhz CPU, 64 MB of ROM, and no WiFi, but is otherwise identical to the mid-range X50.
- Reasonably priced for what you get;
- Excellent quality screen, no yellow tinting;
- Spacious 93 MB of ROM storage;
- Strong performer.
- No built-in screen cover;
- Dell branding is a little overpowering;
- Based on Dell's track record to date, there may or may not be an operating system upgrade for this device.
The mid-range Dell Axim X50 is a well balanced Pocket PC that delivers a strong set of features (including WiFi and Bluetooth) at a reasonable price. The styling isn't anything to write home about, and while it's bigger than the iPAQ 4150, having dual slots is a huge benefit for some people so the size bump may be worth it. And you can't argue with the price!